About Kyle Dine
Spreading food allergy awareness and education through music
Hi I'm Kyle! I have grown up being allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, seafood and mustard and have had many allergic reactions growing up.
On Christmas Day 2005 I had the worst reaction of my life. It was incredibly scary and I am truly lucky to be alive. This experience shook me to the core and woke me up to how I should manage my own allergies.
I had so many emotions after this, but the one that trumped all was the desire to help others avoid anaphylactic reactions. I picked up my guitar and started putting my thoughts into lyrics. At first the songs I was writing were a novelty. They were fun to play for friends and kids that I taught guitar to while working at summer camp.
My mom is an elementary school principal and started working with me on fine tuning my song/show messaging so I could go into her school and teach the students about life-threatening food allergies. Soon after, her colleagues started brought me to their schools and the rest is history! Since then:
- I have performed at over 300 schools
- I have reached over 125,000 students live
- I have released two CDs "You Must Be Nuts!" and "Food Allergies Rock!"
- I have travelled across North America performing for schools and support groups
The most important thing to me is raising awareness and education about food allergies. I have worked for the past six years with Anaphylaxis Canada - a national non-profit. During this time I gained valuable knowledge about food allergy research, news, and educational models to help inform the public about a growing health condition.
As I child educator, there is nothing greater than helping a child learn about such a serious topic in a way that is easy to understand, fun, engaging, and empowering.
I'll be the first to admit that "music about food allergies" is a niche that you don't hear about every day. But I am truly one of those people that can say "I love what I do, and I do what I love." I hope to share my passion of helping create allergy safe schools soon in your community!
PS - Please feel free to contact me for more details about my performances
20 Questions with Kyle Dine
What is your favourite...
1) Food? Dill Pickles
2) Instrument? Guitar
3) Day of the Week? Friday!
4) Kitchen Appliance? Microwave
5) Band? The Beatles
6) Country? Canada, U.S. and Slovenia
7) Season? Summer
8) Food Allergy Song? "C'est La Vie"
9) Board Game? Monopoly
10) Colour? Blue & Yellow
11) Television Show? America's Funniest Home Videos
12) Chore? Cutting the lawn
13) Dessert? Apple Crisp
14) Animal? Owl
15) Sport to Play? Volleyball and Hockey
16) Art or Craft? Pottery and woodworking
17) Mode of transportation - Canoe
18) Plant? Cactus
19) Sports Team? Pittsburgh Steelers and Toronto Blue Jays & Maple Leafs
20) Question? Why do Food Allergies Rock?